Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

085-0127 Campbell Farm

Campbell Farm
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 04/17/1990

NRHP Listing Date 08/15/1990

DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement

NPS property number 90001416

On an eminence dominating the village of Lantz Mills, Campbell Farm is a remarkably intact late 19th-century farm complex exuding the air of confidence and prosperity that characterized the late Victorian era. The principal feature of the grouping is a frame Queen Anne mansion with octagonal corner towers. Immediately adjacent are seven frame buildings that served the farm. The complex was built in 1888-89 for Milton C. Campbell, a local resident who married into a family of ironmasters with Canadian and Pennsylvanian connections. They purchased two Shenandoah County iron furnaces, Columbia and Liberty furnaces, after the Civil War, following other Northern entrepreneurs into what they hoped would be a prosperous Southern economy. The venture eventfully failed and Campbell sold the property in 1908. Despite the family’s decline, the property has enjoyed subsequent owners who have kept the buildings in excellent condition.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018