Constructed around 1840, the Jacob Bowman House is an early example of a vernacular Greek Revival-style house in Shenandoah County and the Shenandoah Valley. Set on six acres, the two-story, hipped-roof, frame house features many well-preserved details and remains largely unaltered from its original construction. Also standing on the property are six historically contributing buildings or structures including a circa-1880 bank barn and a stable built around the same time, and the foundational remains of a springhouse that dates to around 1850. Overall, the property has a high degree of historic integrity of location, setting, design, and workmanship. Jacob Bowman was a direct descendant of European families who settled the northern Shenandoah Valley in the first half of the 18th century.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark