For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 11000840
The John Miley Maphis House is a two-story, frame farm house built in 1856. Located on high ground across a creek from the village of Lantz Mill, the house was the residence of a prosperous miller and merchant, and contributed to the development of the bustling pre-Civil War milling community of Lantz Mill. The house is a nearly unaltered example of the type of “hall-and-parlor” houses that were widespread in the Shenandoah Valley in the mid- to late-19th century. In addition to the house, the property also features a circa-1870 bank barn with forebay that replaced one destroyed during the Civil War, a circa-1900 wash house, and circa-1920 chicken house.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018