Old Stone Tavern on the Wilderness Road (now U.S. Route 11) in Smyth County, was erected before 1815 by Frederick Cullop to accommodate travelers in the heavy westward migration through the Cumberland Gap to the west in the early 19th century. Constructed using local limestone, the tavern is one of the oldest stone buildings in Smyth County. It reflects the influence of the stone vernacular tradition of rural Pennsylvania on the settlement arteries into Kentucky and Tennessee where similar structures can be found. Typical of early taverns, the front is sheltered by a two-level gallery, which here is given a festive quality by the use of scalloped eaves. The interior preserves some early, very plain woodwork.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark