Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

086-0026 Scott-Walker House

Scott-Walker House
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/10/1994

NRHP Listing Date 05/19/1994

NPS property number 94000450

The solidly built Scott-Walker house is the oldest stone farmhouse in Smyth County and an outstanding example of the region’s early vernacular architecture. It was erected sometime between 1800 and 1815 for Charles Scott, a prosperous farmer and slave owner, in what was then Washington County. Little changed since Scott’s tenure, the house is constructed with massive walls of coursed limestone rubble. The interior has a hall/parlor plan and features exceptional decorative woodwork including cornices with punch-and-dentil work. The mantels are decorated with unusual scalloped frieze panels. Taking advantage of the area’s abundance of timber, the woodwork employs unpainted maple, cherry, and walnut. Original flooring and hardware, including decorative strap hinges, also remain in place. An unusual feature is the finished attic space with wide boards lining the ceiling and knee walls. The house has recently been restored.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018