Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

090-0001 Bacon's Castle

Bacon's Castle
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

See link(s) below to view additional documentation.

VLR Listing Date 09/09/1969

NRHP Listing Date 10/15/1966

NHL Listing Date 10/09/1960

NRHP Reference Number 66000849

The nation’s outstanding example of high-style 17th-century domestic architecture, and the oldest documented house in Virginia, Bacon’s Castle was erected in 1665 for Arthur Allen. Pure Jacobean in form and detail, the house is distinguished by its cruciform plan, curvilinear gables, and diagonal chimney stacks. It acquired its present name in 1676, when, during Bacon’s Rebellion, the house was fortified by a group of Nathaniel Bacon’s followers. The house was modified in the 18th century when the first-floor paneling was installed and the windows were changed from casements to wooden sash. Further alterations occurred in the 1840s when a Greek Revival wing was added. The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia) purchased the property in 1973 and exhibits it as a museum. On the grounds is a vast formal garden, reconstructed from archaeological evidence of the original 17th-century garden.

1975 NHL Nomination

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated: March 19, 2019