Erected circa 1895 by coal-camp residents and miners, the Virginia City Church, alone on a hillside in Wise County, is the only surviving structure from the once bustling mining community of Virginia City. Built as a place of worship for multiple denominations, the church also served as the community’s first schoolhouse. A rectangular, one-room edifice, measuring only 20 by 32 feet, the church faces south and has a weatherboard bell tower and a small diamond-shaped window centered on each gable end, with a Christian cross in the center of the north gable window.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark