Surrounded by its quaint old churchyard, Christ Church is a premier historic landmark in the heart of Alexandria and the Alexandria Historic District. It was built in 1767-73 from plans by James Wren, one of colonial Virginia’s few identified architects. Begun by James Parsons, “undertaker,” and completed by Col. John Carlyle, the Georgian building employs a rectangular format with two tiers of windows. Its Aquia Creek sandstone Palladian window and rusticated doorways are based on designs published by Batty Langley. Inside is the original wine-glass pulpit and altarpiece built against the Palladian window. The gallery was installed in 1785; the steeple was added in 1799. George Washington frequently attended services at Christ Church, and Robert E. Lee worshiped here in 1861, just before journeying to Richmond to accept command of the Army of Northern Virginia.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark