For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
See link(s) below to view additional documentation.
VLR Listing Date 09/09/1969
NRHP Listing Date 10/15/1966
NHL Listing Date 11/04/1963
NRHP Reference Number 66000913
In its heyday, Gadsby’s Tavern hosted some of the most noted figures of the early Republic, including George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, and Lafayette. The large three-story section, the ultimate in elegance and comfort for its time, was built by John Wise in 1792. The earlier two-story dormered section, a finely detailed example of the Georgian style, was built as an ordinary ca. 1770. The establishment was operated by John Gadsby from 1796 until 1808, during which period it achieved its greatest renown. Although the ballroom woodwork is now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the rest of the two-building complex survives without significant alteration. Restored in the 1970s, the property, located in the Alexandria Historic District, is now owned by the city and is operated as a museum and restaurant.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: March 6, 2021