John Fox, Jr., novelist of the mountaineers’ struggle to cope with the mining era and a more modern lifestyle, lived and wrote here from 1890 until his death in 1919, drawing inspiration from the people and culture of the region. He is best remembered for two best-seller works: The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come and The Trail of the Lonesome Pine. The shingled house was begun ca. 1890 for Fox’s two eldest brothers, who came to Big Stone Gap from Kentucky as investors in mining options. Several additions were made to accommodate more of the family, including John Fox, Jr., and his wife, Viennese prima donna Fritzi Scheff. Throughout their ownership, which lasted until 1971, the Foxes made the rambling homeplace a cultural and social center. The property is now maintained as a museum by the Lonesome Pine Arts and Crafts Association.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark