Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

104-5073 Marshall-Rucker-Smith House

Marshall-Rucker-Smith House
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/17/1999

NRHP Listing Date 06/29/1999

NPS property number 99000725

Marshall-Rucker-Smith House is a large, two-story, brick house dating to 1894. A prominent example of the Queen Anne style in the city, the house was constructed by Charlottesville builder William T. Vandergrift for dry goods merchant J. William Marshall. The house, marked by lavish interior appointments, is distinguished by its octagonal corner tower and Romanesque-inspired arcading in the gable. A later owner, philanthropist William J. Rucker, added a two-story solarium and library wing and an outdoor swimming pool in the 1930s. In the mid-20th century, the house was converted into apartments, one of which housed future Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. The house retains its historic appearance, and its lot features shade trees, iron fences, stone retaining walls, and planting beds.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018