Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

106-0005 Fort Clifton Archaeological Site

Fort Clifton Archaeological Site
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 10/21/1980

NRHP Listing Date 02/03/1981

NPS property number 81000639

Part of the elaborate system of defensive Confederate earthworks situated for the protection of both Richmond and Petersburg, Fort Clifton was built in early May 1864 and named for the house that stood nearby. As soon as it was completed, the fort came under attack from five Union gunboats supporting Federal troops engaged at Swift Creek. One gunboat was crippled by return fire and the others withdrew. Fort Clifton was attacked twice more, on June 10 and 16, but to no effect. An impressively large and well-preserved example of Confederate fortifications, Fort Clifton is today owned by the city of Colonial Heights.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated November 7, 2018