The North Danville Historic District is primarily residential with a small commercial district along North Main Street, the central corridor. The city of Danville developed south of the Dan River during the late 18th century as a tobacco marketing, manufacturing, and distribution center. North Danville arose across the river as a separate town in the 1870s and was annexed to Danville in 1896. Three blocks of primarily two-story, brick commercial buildings line the southern portion of North Main Street, while mostly frame, two-story Victorian-era dwellings line the northern end. Side streets contain a variety of working- and middle-class dwellings dating to the late-19th and early-20th centuries. The buildings in the North Danville Historic District reflect a variety of architectural styles including Italianate, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, and Bungalow designs. A large number of Folk Victorian and vernacular forms are also represented.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark