For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 02/26/1979
NRHP Listing Date 06/19/1979
NRHP Reference Number 79003284
Delisted from VLR on 03/19/1997
Delisted from NRHP on 03/19/2001
Hayes Hall was formerly the main building of Virginia College and Virginia Seminary, founded in 1886 as an institution espousing the self-help educational principles for African Americans advocated by Booker T. Washington. Completed in 1888, the prodigious though deteriorated structure was demolished in 1988.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: February 15, 2019