For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 04/21/1981
NRHP Listing Date 09/09/1982
NRHP Reference Number 82004572
The robust composition of St. Paul’s Church, serving Lynchburg’s oldest Episcopal congregation and located in the Court House Hill/Downtown Historic District, is Virginia’s finest ecclesiastical example of the Romanesque Revival, fostered by Boston architect H. H. Richardson. Typical of the style, St. Paul’s features a solid outline and rugged textured stonework. The church, built in 1889-95, was designed by Frank Miles Day of Philadelphia, who is remembered for his partnership with Charles Z. Klauder and their neo-Gothic collegiate buildings at Princeton and other universities. The belfry was added in 1912 and departs slightly from Day’s design. The lofty interior is defined by massive Romanesque arches supporting an open-timber roof and is lit with several contemporary stained-glass windows portraying Biblical scenes. The church is one of several architecturally imposing churches in the neighborhood which together create a lively skyline for downtown Lynchburg.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: January 25, 2022