For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/06/2000
NRHP Listing Date 08/16/2001
NPS property number 01000853, 02001361
Court House Hill/Downtown Historic District (City of Lynchburg) is located in the city’s historic center. The 25-block district includes Clay, Court, Church, and Main Streets between Fifth through Thirteenth Streets. The area has continuously served as Lynchburg’s governmental,financial, commercial, and religious center and consists of relatively intact blocks of buildings, including early residential ones, dating from the early 19th century to the present. The buildings represent a wide range of 18th-, 19th-, and 20th-century architectural styles and reflect the city’s prosperity throughout this period. The district also includes the City Armory (1931-32), the City Auditorium and Market (1909-10), and historic structures such as the Clay Street Water Reservoir, the campanile at Holy Cross Catholic Church, and Monument Terrace, a pedestrian extension of Ninth Street, containing five war memorials.
The Courthouse Hill/Downtown Historic District 2002 boundary increase (VLR Listing 9/11/2002; NRHP Listing 11/22/2002) adds 44 contributing structures to the existing designated district. The majority of the buildings are frame structures built in styles popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, including Queen Anne, Second Empire, and Colonial Revival, and constitute a veritable textbook of changing architectural styles in that period. These were built in and adjacent to the downtown areas of Lynchburg, both to meet housing needs and to create a fashionable area in which to live. They date from the early 19th century to the middle of the 20th century. There are a few brick dwellings, including a stylish brick double house built as rental property by statesman Carter Glass.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated August 14, 2018