For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 02000182
William Phaup House was constructed about 1817 by Phaup, a local builder. It is an example of the dwellings built by local artisans, tradesmen, and other middle-class settlers. An unusual hybrid between a Federal mansion and a cottage, it features a four-bay form, and the original entry on the upper floor is located over a full basement. Although the porch that served that entrance has been removed, the house survives with only minor alterations.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018