The Lower Basin Historic District 2023 Boundary Increase in Lynchburg is located on a low terrace that extends between the south bank of the James River and a parallel ridge and extends to a length of Main Street south and east of the existing Lower Basin Historic District. The history of the Boundary Increase area is tied to the historic development of the original Lower Basin Historic District and Lynchburg as a whole. The Lynchburg riverfront had historically been industrially focused, with businesses using first the river and then the James River-Kanawha Canal to ship materials and products east. However, the coming of the railroad in the mid-19th-century allowed for larger business and companies such as Helme Tobacco, a national company, to open businesses in the city. The new boundaries of the Lower Basin Historic District incorporate historic industrial and commercial buildings that contributed to the success and growth of the city. Most of the buildings within the expansion area were constructed between 1800 and 1950, but this update extends the historic district’s period of significance to 1959.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark