Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

121-0001 Warwick County Courthouses

Warwick County Courthouses
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 02/16/1988

NRHP Listing Date 11/03/1988

NPS property number 88002186

Surrounded by sprawling suburban development, the former county-seat settlement at Denbigh preserves the two historic courthouses of the now-extinct Warwick County. The 1810 courthouse is a small T-shaped brick structure fronted by a carefully articulated Doric portico. The building was converted to the clerk’s office when the 1884 courthouse was built nearby and now serves as a visitors’ center. The 1884 courthouse was built in conjunction with the completion of the Chesapeake and Ohio railroad to Newport News. An excellent example of High Victorian Italianate, it has the tall windows, bracket cornice, and cupola that are hallmarks of the style. The courthouse served the county until 1958 when Warwick County (by then an independent city) was consolidated with Newport News. The building now houses the Denbigh Community Center. On the grounds is 1909 Confederate monument.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018