The main body of the T-shaped colonial dwelling, with its superb glazed-header Flemish-bond brickwork, probably was built for Matthew Jones in 1727, whose name and date are on inscribed bricks. The projecting entrance, a holdover from 17th-century house types, is one of the state’s four remaining examples of this feature. The chimneys, with their great sloping haunches and divided stacks, survive from an earlier dwelling, probably frame. In 1893 the original interior trim was removed and the sides were raised to two full stories. Despite these changes, the Matthew Jones House in Newport News is an important architectural document, illustrating the transition from the postmedieval vernacular to the Georgian style. Now within the Fort Eustis Military Reservation, the house is accessible to public visitation (exterior only). The Matthew Jones House underwent thorough stabilization and repair in 1992-93.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark