The Noland Company Building in the city of Newport News is significant for its association with the region’s commercial history. Built in 1920, the building originally housed the Granby Phonograph Corporation. In 1938, the plumbing-supplies wholesaler Noland Company, founded by self-made businessman and civic leader Lloyd U. Noland Sr., purchased the building and converted it for headquarters, showrooms, and a warehouse. The Noland Company grew from a small Tidewater plumbing supplier to an international wholesale distributor of a wide variety of construction materials during the time it occupied the building, which ended in 1996 when the company relocated to another nearby site.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark