Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

122-0058 Walter E. Hoffman Courthouse (formerly The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse)

Walter E. Hoffman Courthouse (formerly The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse)
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 10/18/1983

NRHP Listing Date 10/10/1984

NPS property number 84000098

Designed by Norfolk architect Benjamin F. Mitchell and completed in 1934, the Walter E. Hoffman Courthouse is a leading federal work in the monumental Art Deco style. The design follows the trend of the 1930s for federal architecture to serve as assertive symbols of democratic ideals and the strength of government institutions. Like many federal projects of the Depression era, the building blends stylized classical forms with the Art Deco format to create a stylish monumental character inside and out. Consistent with its dignified exterior is the main lobby, a grand hall ornamented with colorful stone veneers, metalwork details, and a richly decorated ceiling. The building was renovated and renamed in 1983 to accommodate the U.S. district court at which time the post office function was removed.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018