Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

123-0006 Sutherland House

Sutherland House
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 09/22/2011

NRHP Listing Date 11/22/2011

NPS property number 11000837

The Sutherland House is one of the most architecturally significant Civil War-era houses in Petersburg. The house, which features two unusual chimneys, was built circa 1860 by George Washington Sutherland, a prosperous city grocer, and his wife. An existing one-room brick dwelling built in 1838 was adapted by Sutherland to serve as an ell to the new house, and a two-story frame addition was completed by 1877.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018