The Walnut Hill Historic District comprises a large residential neighborhood located near the center of the city of Petersburg. The neighborhood was first subdivided in 1910 after acquisition of a nearly 250-acre farm, at one time called Walnut Hill. The district is characterized by ordered streets, most of which are named after large pre-Civil War Virginia plantations. The first lots in the neighborhood were built upon primarily by wealthy, white, Petersburg citizens. The physical and social center of the community was deliberately focused on Westover Avenue and South Sycamore Street and the residents along these streets were predominately those of the middle-to upper-class who were local business leaders, industrialists, lawyers, doctors, politicians, and proprietors. The remainder of the neighborhood was inhabited by middle-class white residents, with dwellings primarily of the 1910s and 1920s encompassing generally Colonial Revival and Craftsman-style examples. During the Great Depression and after World War II ended, additional construction within the neighborhood continued with Minimal Traditional and Ranch houses then predominant. The Walnut Hill neighborhood largely was built out by the early 1970s. The Christ and Grace Episcopal Church, a contributing resource in the Walnut Hill Historic District, is individually listed in the National Register.
The Board of Historic Resources listed the Walnut Hill Historic District in the Virginia Landmarks Register with a period of significance of 1912-1972. The district is listed in the National Register of Historic Places with a period of significance of 1912-1960. As a result, both nominations are available at the links on this summary page.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark