125-0008

Pulaski South Historic Residential and Industrial District

VLR Listing Date

08/21/1991

NRHP Listing Date

10/29/1991

NRHP Reference Number

91001580

This irregularly shaped district takes in most of the south side of the town of Pulaski. The area was the location of the majority of the town’s businesses and residences in 1886 when Pulaski, formerly known as Martin’s Tank, was incorporated. A leading contributor to the community’s growth was the Bertha Zink and Mineral Co. The company’s workers’ houses, commissary, and office occupy the district’s west end. A contrast to the usual detached frame workers’ houses is the Bertha Company’s two-story, six-unit residential structure on State Street. By 1900 the district had acquired an unusually fine collection of Queen Anne residences, most of them embellished with fancy wooden porches with sawn-work or turned ornaments. The closing of several industries before or during the Depression slowed growth and facilitated the preservation of the neighborhood’s early 20th-century character.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

125-0063

Pulaski High School

Pulaski (County)

125-0034

Calfee Training School

Pulaski (County)

125-5013

Claremont Elementary School

Pulaski (County)