In its endeavor to build a church that would be “the most symmetrical and pleasing to an educated eye,” the congregation of Richmond’s Second Presbyterian authorized a committee to call on the eminent Brooklyn architect Minard Lafever. A set of plans was purchased, and the church was completed in 1848. The resulting work, Virginia’s only Lafever building, is a demonstration of the strength and inspirational quality of the Gothic Revival. The restrained exterior, dominated by a pinnacled tower, contrasts with the lofty interior with its magnificent hammerbeam ceiling. The church was later expanded with the addition of transepts consistent with Lafever’s work. A rear chapel served as a hospital in the Civil War and was redesigned in the early-20th-century by William C. Noland. The Rev. Dr. Moses Drury Hoge, a renowned 19th-century preacher, was pastor of Second Presbyterian from 1845 to 1899. The church also contributes to Richmond’s Fifth and Main Downtown Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia