Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

127-0119 Woodward House

Woodward House
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 05/21/1974

NRHP Listing Date 06/19/1974

NPS property number 74002243

John Woodward, captain of the sloop Rachell and other ships operating out of the nearby port of Rocketts, occupied this wood-frame dwelling in the first two decades of the 19th century. The house is the only remaining building of the dockside neighborhood where ship captains and sailors, harbormasters and tobacco inspectors, tavern keepers and draymen, and assorted craftsmen and laborers once lived and worked. Much evolved and enlarged over the years, the house began before 1780 as a modest one-room cottage. Its present appearance was achieved by 1829 when the front two-and-a-half-story portion was added. Captain Woodward’s house was spared a proposed demolition in 1974 and acquired by the Historic Richmond Foundation. It has since been sold and restored as a private residence.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018