Overlooking the James River from its tree-dotted grounds with Elizabethan-style gardens, this half-timbered mansion is a product of the antiquarianism and Anglophilia that permeated Virginia’s upper classes in the 1920s. Agecroft Hall was originally a post-medieval manor house built by John Langley near Manchester, England. By 1925 it stood neglected amid coal mines and railroads. Richmond businessman Thomas C. Williams, Jr., purchased the house and had it carefully dismantled and shipped to Richmond where it was reconstructed in modified form in Windsor Farms, a garden suburb on the west end of Richmond developed by Williams. The project’s architect was Henry Grant Morse of New York. Outstanding original features include the elaborately patterned black and white timbering and a splendid leaded window in the great hall. The gardens and grounds were designed by Charles F. Gillette. Agecroft Hall is now a museum owned by the Agecroft Association.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia