Laurel Meadow is an early plantation home situated now within the Richmond city limits, on the one-acre remnant of its original 902 acres. The one-and-one-half-story, L-shaped house is a simple frame building constructed in two distinct sections and displaying elements of Colonial and Federal architectural designs. One house section, resting on an English basement, may have been constructed prior to 1776 when Col. David Patteson, an agent for William Byrd’s Falls Plantation, acquired the property. The other section appears to have been built in the early-19th century. A kitchen addition was attached around 1900 and was later extended to include a bath and laundry area. Patteson was a first lieutenant in the Revolutionary War, a colonel in the Virginia Militia, a member of the House of Delegates, and a representative to the Virginia Federal Constitutional Convention of 1788.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark