Distinguished by its skillful massing and subtle façade, the Highland Park Public School demonstrates the talent of Charles M. Robinson, one of the state’s leading designers of educational facilities. Although his works include buildings at Mary Washington College and the College of William and Mary, Robinson is best known as supervising architect to the Richmond Board of Public Instruction from 1910 to 1929, during which time he designed twenty school buildings and additions to schools. Built in 1909, Highland Park School departs from the usual Georgian and Gothic formulas by employing a Mediterranean idiom, using a spreading tile roof, stuccoed wall panels, and an Italian-style arcade. Following the removal of the school functions to modern facilities, the building was rehabilitated in 1990-91 to accommodate seventy-seven apartments for the elderly, and was renamed Brookland Park Plaza.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark