127-0742

West of The Boulevard Historic District

VLR Listing Date

12/08/1993

NRHP Listing Date

03/07/1994

NRHP Reference Number

94000153

Taking its name from its eastern boundary, the West of The Boulevard Historic District is an extensive, primarily residential Richmond neighborhood encompassing some sixty-nine blocks and over 1,700 contributing buildings. Laid out on level fields of what was then Henrico County farmland, the district developed rapidly from 1895 to 1943, a period of intense economic growth. The straight, tree-shaded streets are lined mainly with attached two-story brick town houses, most of which have front porches. Great variety is achieved within this formula: styles include Tudor, Craftsman, and Mediterranean, although modified Georgian predominates. Interspersed among the mostly middle-class houses are a number of distinctly Richmond three-story apartment blocks with galleried porticoes. The majority of buildings date from 1910 to 1930, when real estate corporations and building firms such as Muhleman and Kayhoe and Davis Brother, Inc. began developing whole blocks. Anchored by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts campus along its eastern edge, several churches and schools also highlight the district, which is now commonly referred to as the Museum District.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

127-7673

High-Rise for the Elderly

Richmond (Ind. City)

127-7825

Hermitage Road Warehouse Historic District 2023 Boundary Increase

Richmond (Ind. City)

127-7231

Shockoe Hill Burying Ground Historic District

Richmond (Ind. City)