The Manchester Cotton and Wool Manufacturing Co. mill was one of the earliest and most impressive industrial structures in the Richmond area. Built between 1837 and 1840, the four-story brick building on a raised stone foundation with a stepped-gable roof functioned as a cotton and wool mill during the 19th century. In 1901 the building was converted into a paper mill. Although the mill machinery has been removed and the interior modified for use as a warehouse, the little-altered appearance of the exterior of the original mill along with its conspicuous setting on the south bank of the James River parallel to Mayo’s Bridge has made the structure a well-known landmark since the mid-19th century. Located within the boundaries of the Manchester Industrial Historic District, the mill was demolished around 1990 for the construction of Richmond’s flood wall.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark