Laburnum Park Historic District is an early-20th-century suburb in Richmond’s Northside. Its major east-west streets feature grass medians with rows of trees. Along these streets are houses in many of the styles popular in that era. By 1907, the district was bordered on two sides by streetcar lines, which made it a reasonable alternative to Richmond’s traditional westward expansion along Monument Avenue and along the river. Here a rural ambiance prevailed as the area included, or was close to, summer homes and important estates like Joseph Bryan’s Laburnum, from which it took its name. Following World War II, the Laburnum house became a part of the Richmond Memorial Hospital, an important neighborhood institution that has since been renovated for alternative use.
In 2006 an amendment to the nomination was accepted which changed the Laburnum Park Historic District’s period of significance to range from 1908 to 1961.
[VLR Accepted: 3/15/2006; NRHP Accepted: 4/26/2006]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark