The E. M. Todd Company building was built on Hermitage Road in Richmond in the 1890s to house a brewery and commercial ice plant. In the 1920s, it became the new home of the E. M. Todd Company, one of Virginia’s most famous meatpackers and the purveyor of Virginia hams to generations of Virginians. The history of Todd hams can be traced back to Captain Mallory Todd, a Bermuda sea captain, who settled in Smithfield in Isle of Wight County and shipped “Smithfield Hams” as early as 1779. The Todd building has been renovated for housing.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark