For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 15000962
Built in two phases between 1945 and 1947, Wicker Apartments—known at the time of its listing as Bellevue Apartments—is a well-preserved example in Richmond of a mid-20th century garden apartment complex. Richmond architect W. Harrison Pringle designed the complex, and Earl H. Wicker, a prolific local contractor and developer whose career spanned more than 50 years, owned and built it under Federal Housing Administration guidelines. Only one of three World War II–era garden-apartment complexes remaining in Richmond that FHA funded, it exemplifies the middle-class urban apartment type that FHA encouraged from the 1930s into the immediate post–World War II years to alleviate the nation’s chronic housing shortage. The complex embodies the essential principles the FHA espoused, as characterized by tasteful landscaping and open park-like settings, brick construction, generous interior light and ventilation, and low-rise, harmonious buildings without lobbies or elevators.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018