For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 04/17/1990
NRHP Listing Date 01/24/1991
NRHP Reference Number 90002162
This ingenious, if not amusing, architectural work contradicts the modernist tenet that form follows function. Firehouse No. 6 was built in 1911 to serve the growing Belmont neighborhood, and was one of the city’s first to be equipped with motorized fire engines. The design of this and three other firehouses provided by architect Homer M. Miller, was influenced by concern that new firehouses be compatible with the residential character of their respective neighborhoods. The firehouse thus was disguised to look like just another house on the block, even with a front porch. The only giveaways were the wide double doors and the wider width of the center bay to accommodate the fire trucks. The station served until 1979 when replaced by a modern station; it is now used as a neighborhood center.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: October 15, 2021