Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

128-0234 Mount Moriah Baptist Church and Cemetery

Mount Moriah Baptist Church and Cemetery
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/15/1994

NRHP Listing Date 09/08/1994

NPS property number 94001092

Situated on a wooded hillside above the bustle of a commercial strip, this African American religious complex consists of a plain wooden church and a half-acre cemetery with over 100 graves. Mount Moriah’s members comprise one of the region’s earliest black congregations, originating in a Sunday school for slaves established in the mid-1800s by Dr. Charles Lewis Cocke, founder of Hollins College. This group gained permission to build its first church in 1858. The present church, the congregation’s third, was built in 1908. The simple building has been little changed and preserves its original furnishings. The cemetery, expanded from a former slave burial ground, is nearby along an old road trace. A source of pride for the local black community, Mount Moriah has been a spiritual reference point for its members for more than 130 years.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated February 7, 2019