Locally significant for reflecting the development of a South Roanoke neighborhood and its changing architectural tastes during the first half of the 20th century, the Boxley-Sprinkle House is situated on a prominent city corner. Built circa 1907, the house was constructed in the Victorian style and faced on 26th Street (formerly Fifth Avenue) with a corner turret, projecting polygonal bays, and a wraparound porch. In the 1940s, under new ownership, and in response to new trends and a local building boom, the house was redesigned in a Colonial Revival style and the main entrance reoriented to Crystal Spring (formerly Virginia) Avenue, with the addition of a full-height classical portico.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark