The completion of the Virginia Central Railroad to the city of Staunton in 1854 made this Shenandoah Valley community an active shipping point. The area around the depot, along Middlebrook Avenue, became a busy commercial area, its importance signaled by the construction of the extant Greek Revival American Hotel in 1857. The colorful range of warehouses lining the tracks today date mostly from the last quarter of the 19th century and served commission merchants, wholesale grocers, saloon keepers, and liveries. The Wharf Area Historic District’s eastern end is marked by the turn-of-the-20th century White Star Mill, since remodeled as a restaurant. The small but well-defined neighborhood has been the scene of considerable preservation activity which has protected its character and enhanced the economy of downtown Staunton. The area was named the Wharf because it was a shipping point; there is no body of water.
Amended maps and inventory changes to the Wharf Area Historic District nomination were accepted by the National Register in 1982.
[VLR Accepted: 12/16/1980; NRHP Accepted: 7/19/1982]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark