The chaste colonial Glebe Church in the city of Suffolk takes its present name from the fact that its parish was one of the few in Virginia that managed to retain its colonial glebe—property owned by the parish and used to produce income—following the American Revolution and the disestablishment. The 300-acre glebe is still in the possession of the parish. The Glebe Church, known in colonial times as Bennett’s Creek Church, was constructed in 1737-38 as the lower church of Suffolk Parish. It was made L-shaped by the addition of a wing in 1759. The church fell into ruin after the Revolution but was restored to use in 1856 when the wing was demolished and the bricks used in the repair. The Glebe Church received its last extensive renovation in 1900. Today only the 1738 Flemish-bond brick walls are original.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark