For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/07/2005
NRHP Listing Date 02/01/2006
NRHP Reference Number 05001584
Originally serving Union Church, a non-denominational chapel constructed by the City of Suffolk that offered segregated services to whites and African Americans, Cedar Hill Cemetery was established in 1802 as a public cemetery. Initially the area around the chapel was used as a communal burying ground for whites, blacks, and Indians. The chapel was removed in 1872 and the cemetery expanded to its current 25 acres by 1910. Graves within the cemetery, which include those of many prominent Suffolk citizens, reveal varying types of mausoleums, tombstones, and tombs from the 19th and 20th centuries. The cemetery continues today as a burying ground.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: July 29, 2021