The Nansemond County Training School, built to serve the African American students of southwestern Suffolk, is listed in the registers under the Rosenwald Schools in Virginia multiple property documentation form. Built to house the first public Black high school in what was then Nansemond County, the school included both the primary and secondary grades. The school is a one-story brick building on a partial basement and capped with a tin hipped roof. Constructed in 1924, the main building consists of a central block with a recessed covered porch and flanking wings. Like the exterior, the interior has three main sections. There is little ornamentation on either the outside or the inside. The school was largely funded by public money, but also received a contribution from the Julius Rosenwald Fund to pay for construction. A secondary wood-frame building built as a cafeteria and later a classroom is also on the grounds.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark