For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/15/1999
NRHP Listing Date 05/26/2000
NRHP Reference Number 00000558
Douglas School, often referred to as Douglas High School and now known as the Douglas Community Learning Center, is located on North Kent Street in the City of Winchester. The one-story, Colonial Revival-style brick building was erected in 1927 for the city’s African American students. Built partially from the proceeds of a private trust bequeathed to the city by Judge John Handley of Scranton, Pennsylvania, the school was designed by architect R. V. Long, who used the central auditorium plan developed by the Virginia Department of Education. An institution cherished by Winchester’s black community, Douglas School served as the city’s only African American school from 1927 to 1966, when school integration was established.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: November 18, 2021