Notable for its combination Art Moderne/Art Deco architecture, the Blacksburg Motor Company building was constructed in 1924. The building has been used as a service station, a car dealership, a repair garage, and a tire franchise, reflecting the rising importance of the automobile in the Blacksburg area of Montgomery County during the early 20th century. Set on a one-acre lot, the building was strategically positioned near the train station, with property abutting the tracks to facilitate unloading automobiles delivered for retail by train. While the front of the Blacksburg Motor Company building features the sleek and striking Art Moderne/Art Deco style, the back of the building lacks such architectural flairs, reflecting its industrial function.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark