Now part of the town of Blacksburg, the Keister House is one of Montgomery County’s only examples of a hall-parlor dwelling of brick construction. The original house on the property was a log structure built soon after 1800. The brick house was constructed in the 1830s, and was connected to the log house by a corridor. Tax records show that John Keister owned the property in 1840; the place remained in the Keister family until a 1935 foreclosure. The log section was demolished and the corridor incorporated into an addition following the foreclosure sale. Despite the loss of the earlier dwelling, the brick section of the Keister House remains without significant alteration. The four-bay Flemish-bond brick façade has a molded brick cornice. The first-floor rooms have Federal mantels with sunbursts and reeded end blocks. Early graining survives on some of the woodwork.
The Keister House was listed in the registers under the Prehistoric and Historic Resources of Montgomery County MPD.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark