The Freeman General Store was built as a large two-story store and residence in 1859 on six acres of land adjacent to the newly-arrived Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad in the Fairfax County town of Vienna. From 1906 to 1929, Leon Freeman, Fairfax County‘s first Republican delegate to the Virginia General Assembly after the Civil War, operated the store. In the mid-1970s, the town restored the building to resemble its appearance in two Civil War-era photographs. At the time of its listing in the registers, Historic Vienna, Inc., operated the first floor of the Freeman Store as a restored general store and post office with interpretive exhibits, while the second floor served as a museum and office space.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark