The Oaks

VLR Listing Date


NRHP Listing Date


NRHP Reference Number


A classic example of a Queen Anne residence, The Oaks was originally the home of William H. Pierce, a local insurance executive and landowner. Pierce had the house built in 1893 and there he and his wife raised six children. He died in 1949 and his widow continued to live there until her death in 1968. This seventy-five-year occupancy by the original owners accounts for the remarkably unaltered state of the house. The large but homey residence has the requisite elements of an American Queen Anne dwelling: complex roofline, corner tower, shingled and weatherboarded sheathing, and hospitable wrap-around porch. The porch is a uniquely American feature of this essentially British style. Decorative pseudo half-timbering ornaments the gables. The interior of The Oaks preserves original woodwork including a Jacobean-style stair. The immaculately maintained structure, located in the East Main Street Historic District in the Montgomery County town of Christiansburg, is now a bed and breakfast inn.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form


Pilot School

Montgomery (County)


Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Cottage

"Virginia's Lost" Delisted Landmarks


Elijah Murdock Farm

"Virginia's Lost" Delisted Landmarks