Paradise, in the Warrenton Historic District in Fauquier County, is believed to have been built about 1758. It is a two-story, evolved Federal-style timber-frame house, retaining much of its original interior woodwork, doors, windows, and mantels. The full-width one-story front porch, added ca. 1870, features elaborate Italianate and Folk Victorian elements including bracketed eaves, modillion cornices, and scrollwork. The house is important for its association with Martin Pickett, a county leader and representative to the State Convention of 1776 and the Constitutional Convention of 1787, and Judge William Gaines, a wealthy businessman who purchased Paradise after the Civil War and lived there until his death in 1888. Gaines distinguished himself in the legal field, eventually serving as a judge on the Fauquier County Circuit Court. The property contains two historic secondary buildings–a circa 1830 frame smokehouse and an 1870 summer kitchen resting on a brick foundation.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark