Monterosa was originally the Warrenton home of William (“Extra Billy”) Smith, two-term governor of Virginia (1846-1849 and 1864-1865). Smith also served in the Virginia Senate, the U. S. House of Representatives, the Confederate House of Representatives, and as a major general in the Confederate Army. Early in his career, Smith ran the longest mail route in the nation and was dubbed “Extra Billy” by a U. S. senator during a congressional investigation. Sharing the site with Smith’s house are three outbuildings: an architecturally stylish Italianate stable built in 1847, a brick smokehouse, and a late-19th-century dwelling known as the Office. James K. Maddux, a later owner and a leader in the Warrenton Hunt, remodeled Smith’s Italianate dwelling in the Colonial Revival taste, adding the portico. Maddux also changed the name of the property to Neptune Lodge.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark