The Wilson Warehouse, in the Botetourt County town of Buchanan, is a relic of western Virginia’s antebellum prosperity. It was built in 1839 as a combined dwelling, warehouse, and store for John S. Wilson, whose business activities prospered with the completion of the adjacent James River and Kanawha Canal as far as Buchanan in 1851. The urbane Greek Revival structure is set off by stepped gables, an architectural feature often used on commercial buildings of the period to protect the end of the roof from fire. The structure retains its original hardware, doorbell, and the cargo wheel on the third floor. Restored in 1928 by Lynchburg architect Stanhope Johnson, the building, later known as the Community House, came to be owned by the Buchanan Town Improvement Society. Wilson Warehouse was used as both a residence and venue for special meetings and events.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark